Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Walk to remember (A Tribute to the Soldiers who died serving the Queen and fight against Japanese occupation)




Today, there has not been much things to do. I am half way through my Fantasy Resort design and I think it is time to relax. There is no overtime at my project site. It is Sunday. Yesterday, I did push the contractor to do some more work before taking off the weekend. Actually it is needless for me to push them to work as I am the Resident Engineer who foresee their quality of work for the client.

Now I need a good rest. I need food too. Waking up late and it is almost noon, I gave a call to my contractor. I need a breakaway. He agreed to kick off with some cool spots. But as you know, Labuan has no shopping complexes and mall so the only available spots will be the tourism attraction.




Labuan War Cemetery

I parked our car outside the cemetery parameters and open the fence. It is a view of horror and also amazement. Look at all those graves. Lots and lots of them arrange in a very beautiful geometrical way. It was sunny and I walk under the sun. Thinking about their contribution to bring back peace to the country. This island was known as Victoria Island when the British occupied it.

As I walk through the soft grass, graves of the unknown soldier. At first, I have no notion until I saw the tomb stone of one particular soldier. It is the grave to one of the soldiers who have sacrificed for the land he hardly known and a nation who have no regards for his motherland. He have given his eyes, tooth, body and his soul to fight the oppressors. He is a Jew and he died for our country, Malaysia. It is kind of sad. This patriotic soul surely is very lonely as their family could not make it into our country since we ban Jews from entering our country. If only I can recite the Torah for him.

I surely do hope that this particular grave not to be move as we always know our country always supersede actual history with some Tinker-Belle-Tell tales. A Jew have died for our country and look at ourselves, I felt that we are ignorance and full of shit probably in the eyes of the world. But let it be, at least I have given a deep thought of us being a selfish Asian ass. I walk further and read more the tomb stone.

I paused for a photo shoot at the Punjab Memorial Column. Names of dead heroes who hardly earn their rank and not to say their wages. They are also a few medical officers who perished during this unnecessary war.



Then, I walk further to the center and pause for another photograph. I can not be long as the afternoon spare me less time but the cemetery capture my heart of the awesomeness of the patriots who have committed their life for the freedom that we have been enjoying. I must say that anybody who make a trip to Labuan, please make this cemetery as one of your destinations.





Pay tribute to these souls who have actually contribute to the building of our nation regardless of their background and their religion. They deserve your one minute of silence and if you have time, give a thoughtful pray to thank them.

Lastly, I salute all these soldiers for their bravery and courage. May God speed your soul and give you a special place in heaven for your act in fighting the unjust. Your honorable sacrifice is always in my heart. Lest we forget!



A tribute to the fallen heroes of the World War II





The Peace Park


The Peace Park was built as a memorial and renunciation of the horrors of the war. When I arrived, there is a feeling of belonging to this particular park. I have been here previously in 1994. I was doing my Chargeman Certificate for two weeks after my SPM (almost equivalent to O'Level during my year). However, I can not recall the other places such as the shop and so on. This is the only prominent spot that still well intact in my memory of Labuan. Besides, the name Jeffery (and other Godfrey variation) means peace anyway.

It was not like stepping into a time machine but it is rather a flashback of Labuan when I first reached here. The first thing I want to see is the Memorial Mound. I just want to see how high is it since that has been playing in my mind all the while.




I take a stroll around the park, it still the same since before. Just love those beautiful landscape and all those memories with my lost friends; Lai Choo Chek and Chai (forgot his name even though I rode his bike to tuition before, I am sorry- Now, after 3 hours, I remember, he is Chai Chee Seng) reminisce in my mind. The whole Labuan film role is used up here and only here.

I do not have any grudge toward the Japanese for their occupation in our country. They did it with the believe to unite Asia with the propaganda Asia for Asian. Of course they left the scar of war here where in our country. The Dayaks are less susceptible to the Japanese aggression compare to the Chinese who have to resort to MPAJA and communist. But many Dayaks help the British and the Autralian soldier in many occasion. (Maybe one day I will write a book about the Sarawak Ranger who play vital role in fighting communist and the part they played in the infamous 13th May. Upon readers' request).The Indian also felt the atrocities. The others, used to be Kempetai or just play safe. Like most Germans, the Japanese detest war after having to go through great difficulty during the post-war era. Let us all hope that we will not witness anymore carnage, massacre and blood bath in our peaceful country.




I posed for a few photos and hurried back to car and continue to wonder through the road of the island without any particular spot in mind. I roam the beaches and snapped photos and then return back to my room and post this out. Beach photos?

Since we are talking about the tribute of the fallen soldier, I wish to backtrack to one particular spot that always have its place in my heart.





Kundasang Memorial Garden (Backtrack)


I have been here couple of time and it seems that I never get bored of this particular spot but learn more about it. This particular memorial is a symbol of the bitter experience that most of the soldiers from Britian, Australia, New Zealand and India have to go through to assist the Queen's distress Colony.

I think that I would never have to endure this kind of horrific experience and I thank these men with valor whom made our country a peaceful nation and homeland of the so-called 'Bolehs'.

***
Bolehs are the Malaysians who think he/she could achieve anything which initially foreseen as a failure or uncertain in results.

Eg. "MV Agusta Boleh make profit. very Sure! Buy it now". Eventually after buying it, it was sold to other party for only RM1. "I thought it Boleh make money", says the Managing Director".

Eg. "We have two cosmonauts who Boleh go to space and do experiment". Then he came back with ruined experiments and no result. "However, He boleh tell stories to kindergarten kids on how to earth spin"

Contradict to Martin Luther King who achieved what he want after he
elocuted his poem, "I have a Dream".

***

The memorial is situated at the foot of Mount Kinabalu, the highest mountain in South East Asia. The entrance fee is RM2 for the local and for the foreigner, it is slightly expensive. This is not profit oriented ticket, it is use to maintain the serene garden. From the entrance, it seems to have nothing much inside.

After the first stair toward the top, to my amazement; it is one of the most beautiful garden dedicated to the fallen heroes. The garden is within the fortress-like wall. At the first entrance, there is a bronze plaque take center stage with grassy square in front. It is so tranquil, I can feel the feeling of relieved soldier who carried the burden and the suffering of the war. But that soldier is not here anymore. They died as unsung heroes and sometime have no space for their name.



This is a photo of my Dad (a true hero) at the Memorial.


I carefully read the plaque about the Death March to Ranau. It was a horrendous journey into the deep tropical jungle infested with mosquitoes and insects. The jungle which hardly known to the Australian, New Zealander and British has taken the toll. They suppose be coolies at Jesselton since they are the 455 fittest POWs.

I continued my journey as I walk past through a garden which is really English. Pine trees and other garden fittings seems to be very Victorian (let me know if I am wrong here). There are miniature flags of these three countries everywhere. The wall are filled with beautiful creepers as well. It is just breathtaking. This combined with the cool climate at Ranau makes you feel like your somewhere else overseas. I walk further to explore the whole place. Gardens and more beautiful gardens emerged in front of me.

I am happy that this memorial has been taken care after being abandon for a while. I found myself entering the third gate. Another beautiful place with a small pool in the middle. At both sides, the name of the fallen soldiers showed me what the cost of war could be. Needless to say the uncounted civilian who also perished. Columns and timber joist decorates the hallway toward another section.

I walk further in front. I have missed that particular section the last time I was here with my dad. I was swayed by the view. I am there speechless by the spectacular view. I have never expected this and furthermore, I would pay RM20 for entrance fee if only I know the view is this beautiful. I switch my camera on and start to snap dozens of photos.

Kundasang Memorial Garden is one of the place that I have engraved dearly into my heart as a place of beauty. The beauty of sacrifices men would make for the sake of freedom and the beauty of the mountain.

As what people always said. The patriots are special peoples. They have a big heart, high in courage and Mount Kinabalu to match it.

To our patriots, regardless of your origin, you are our true heroes. Without you, Malaysian will have nothing and Labuan will still be Maida Island. May God bless your soul and shower your families with joy and fortunes after your miserable yet beautiful death. Amen!



No comments: